Special Education Department
The CCS Special Education Handbook provides information about special education practices and procedures. It can be downloaded from the bottom of the page.
The Special Education Department also assists teachers in providing extended learning opportunities for highly capable students through the Next Step program. A document explaining the Next Step program can be downloaded from the bottom of the page.
SPECIAL EDUCATION RESOURCES:
For information about special education topics, and for home and school suggestions, see the following articles/resources:
1. Ontario Teacher's Federation: Teach Special Education
The teaching strategies and resources on this website have been organized along three main lines: student needs, formal exceptionalites, and diagnosed medical or psychological conditions. Related definitions, characteristics and resources are included for each area.
2. Special Needs Factsheets - Kids Health: The factsheets explain the basics about health conditions that can affect learning in the classroom, and offer quick tips on teaching strategies to help students succeed in school. Each factsheet features links to related resources for kids, teens, and their parents, as well as additional resources for teachers
COMMUNITY SERVICES:If you have concerns about your child, such as behavioural, emotional, or developmental concerns, the following community services may benefit you. If you would like more information about the services, please contact Mrs. Van Egmond.
5. P.A.L.S. Parents Advocacy Learning and Support Network: a network of parents and professionals dedicated to understanding and meeting the needs of students with learning disabilities and related conditions
6. Shalem Mental Health Network: a Christian counseling center for families
1. Thinkfun: A variety of manipulative games to develop reasoning, logic, visual, memory, math skills, and more
2. Doing Mathematics with Your Child, Kindergarten to Grade 6, A Parent Guide: A variety of activities and online resources to support your child's mathematics education.
3. Reading and Writing with Your Child, Kindergarten to Grade 6, A Parent Guide: A variety of activities and online resources to support your child's reading and writing development.
Khan Academy: math instruction and practice, library content also includes science and humanities (all ages)
Motion Math: Hungry Fish Pro: addition and subtraction, including negatives (primary, junior)
AppWriter: speech to text application (all ages)
Bitsboard PRO: sight word recognition boards, including Fry Words to 1000
French Best Dictionary: Translator: translates words and phrases, written and oral translations
Fun for Pre-Schoolers
Coloring Animal Zoo Touch to Color Activity Book
Puzzle Farm Imagination Adventure
Coloring Farm Touch to Color Activity Coloring Book
Toddler Counting 123
123 Kids Fun Numbers
Kids Academy Five Little Monkeys (Interactive Book)
Peekaboo! Guess Who?
Playroom: Lessons with Max
Colors Memory Match! Color Learning Game
Princess Fairy Tale Puzzle Coloring Wonderland
Special Education Faculty
Mrs. D. VanEgmond, Special Education Program Coordinator
Mrs. J. Bosveld, Special Education Teacher
Ms. A. Benjamins, Special Education Teacher
Mrs. L. Belanger
Mrs. T. Bouwers
Mrs. R. Cook
Mrs. T. Kooistra
Mrs. A. McKnight
Mrs. R. Speelman
Mrs. M. Star
Mrs. S. VanderMeulen
Ms. A. van der Woerd
Ms. K. Vos
Mrs. K. Zantingh